FastRI 0.3.0: standalone mode (DRb not needed), more search methods, extended class info...
FastRI is an alternative to the "ri" tool, used to browse RDoc/RI Ruby API documentation. As of 0.3.0, FastRI can operate in standalone mode (without using a DRb server, see below), so it can now fully replace ri for most intents and purposes.
Why prefer it over ri? FastRI
- actually works
- is much faster than ri
- can perform fast full-text searching over all your ri documentation
- is smarter than ri, and can find classes anywhere in the hierarchy without specifying the "full path"
- can be told to use different search strategies (completion, nested namespaces, etc.)
- supports RubyGems much better than ri, and knows which gem a method/class came from
- can serve RI documentation over DRb
- get all the information about a class/module and its methods with --extended
- new search methods: complete namespace (-Om), partial completion on both namespace and method name (-Of), and case-indep. variants.
- --local (-L) and --remote (-L) (default) options. --local makes fri operate in standalone mode, without requiring fastri-server.
- new executable: qri, equivalent to fri -L (local, standalone mode)
- try to second-guess the correct method type if all search methods fail and the type was explicitly given
Additional information, tarballs... can be found here.
FastRI can be installed with RubyGems:
gem install fastri
(if you get an old version/a 404 error, please allow some time after the release until the package propagates to the RubyForge mirrors). Please read below for an important note regarding the RubyGems packages.
- 24 http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=fastri&mrt=en-us&FORM=LIVSOP
- 12 http://planetruby.0x42.net
- 7 http://rubylicio.us
- 7 http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=193306
- 4 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
- 3 http://planetrubyonrails.com
- 3 http://rubylicio.us/2
- 2 http://rubylicio.us/p/13/mauricio fernandez
- 2 http://www.planetrubyonrails.com
- 1 http://rubylicio.us/b/14/eigenclass/2