Ruby 1.8.5 in time for the Lantern Festival
With xmas still way too far in time, O-bon (middle of August, for the western part of Japan and the media at least, I read) is the chosen holiday for Ruby's 1.8.5 release.
Some milestones (ruby-dev:28711):
- 1.8.5 preview 1 in around one week time (~ Jun. 20th)
- 1.8.5 preview 2 around Jul. 12th
- 1.8.5 preview 3 around Aug. 1st
- 1.8.5 release ~Aug. 15th
DeeJay notes that
15th August *is* a Christian Festival - it's The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
However the official "release holiday", as stated by matz, is O-bon: ruby-dev:28709 :-)
Would a lantern with a small "1.8.4" label be unrespectful?
At any rate I, for one, am glad matz didn't limit himself to Christian celebrations.
Obon is celebrated from the 13th to the 15th day of the 7th month of the year, which is July according to the solar calendar. However, since the 7th month of the year roughly coincides with August rather than July according to the formerly used lunar calendar, Obon is still celebrated in mid August in many regions of Japan, while it is celebrated in mid July in other regions. In 2006, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 12 and 15.
The 15th of august is also the anniversary date of the unconditional Japan's surrender to the allied forces in 1945 (Shusen Kinenbi). It is an occasion for many Japanese to make the wish that their country will never be engaged in a war again.
Hi, any idea what has changed? Or do we have to trall the changelog?
great site by the way
It's a minor release from the so-called "stable" branch (but we know that backwards-compatibility is often broken), so there aren't many changes.
From the top of my head:
- non-blocking IO, backported from HEAD (have to update my Changes in Ruby 1.9 page to reflect this)
- changes in ri to support RubyGems (rdoc/ri had been nearly unmaintained for a while, so any commit is good news really)
- RSS stuff backported from HEAD (IIRC)
- further work on the Rdoc documentation
- lots of bugfixes
- 22 http://planetruby.0x42.net
- 21 http://anarchaia.org
- 21 http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20060618.html
- 19 http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=164483
- 18 http://www.rubyinside.com/ruby-185-due-mid-august-94.html
- 18 http://www.rubyweeklynews.org
- 11 http://www.rubyinside.com
- 9 http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20060618
- 9 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
- 7 http://www.rubyblog.de